Local border traffic
Permit for local border traffic (hereinafter — PLBT) may be issued to the citizens of Norway, citizens of other countries residing on a legal basis in a border area no less than the last 3 years that have motivated reasons for crossing Russian-Norwegian border multiple times, in particular with the purpose of maintaining contact with relatives, social, cultural as well as economic and other contacts that according to the legislations of Russia is not classified as work or entrepreneurial activity.
The permit allows a resident of the border area to enter and stay in the border area of Russia every time for 15 days from the date of an entry.
Cumulative period of stay in the border area during the validity of a permit for local border traffic is not limited.
A permit is issued for 3 years but no more than validity of a valid travel document, based on which a permit for local border traffic is issued.
According to the Agreement between the government of the Russian Federation and the government of the Kingdom of Norway on the facilitation of the mutual travel between the residents of the border area of the Russian Federation and the Kingdom of Norway:
- Only Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Kirkenes is authorized to accept the applications to issue permits, as well as issue permits;
- Border area of the Russian Federation consists of municipal unit territories Nikel and Pechenga located 30 km from the state border between Russia and Norway, as well as municipal unit territories Zapolyarny and Korzunovo.
- Residents of the Norway border area enter the Russia border area and exit it only through the international checkpoint on the Norway-Russia state border Borisoglebsk — Storskog.
In order to apply for a permit for local border traffic one must submit:
- A valid travel document (passport);
- A printed our application form signed personally by an applicant. The Russian Visa center can complete a visa application on your behalf.
- Colour photograph 3.5 x 4.5 cm with a light background and with a clear frontal view of the full face without tinted glasses or a headwear (except for the persons who in accordance with their nationality or religious beliefs are depicted with a headwear on their passport photography). At the Russian visa center you may ask for the additional service "Express Photo";
- A document confirming the applicant’s residency on a legal basis in the border area during the last 3 years;
- Medical insurance policy valid on the territory of Russian Federation.
For more information on the submission of the documents by post see section Postal service.
Important! In case of possessing two or more passports, before submitting the documents to a Russian Visa Office, please, make sure there are no valid visas in other documents.
Please note! Consulate institution reserves a right to request additional documents for visa application, invite for an interview or extend the duration of a visa processing.
Please note! According to the Agreement between the government of the Russian Federation and the government of the Kingdom of Norway on the facilitation of the mutual travel between the residents of the border area of the Russian Federation and the Kingdom of Norway only Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Kirkenes is authorized to accept the applications to issue permits, as well as issue permits.
For citizens of Norway and the European Union
All fees may be paid in a Visa Center. Please note we accept only payment with credit or debit card. Cash payment is not accepted.
|Consideration period||Consular fee||Service fee
(incl. VAT) (inclusiv TVA)
|A standard consideration period consists of 10 consecutive days,
but it may be prolonged up to 60 consecutive days.
|180 NOK||170 NOK|
According to the Agreement between the government of the Russian Federation and the government of the Kingdom of Norway on the facilitation of the mutual travel between the residents of the border area of the Russian Federation and the Kingdom of Norway a permit is issued without paying the consular fee to:
- Underage persons;
- Full-time students (provided a confirming document is submitted);
- Persons older than 60 years.
To fill in an application form go to the website visa.kdmid.ru
Service for completing the electronic visa application form
Russian Visa Application Center offers additional service for completing the electronic visa application form when submitting documents to the Visa Center, or correction on behalf of the applicant (authorized representative) of the mistakes made on the application form.
Visa application form is filled on the basis of documents and information submitted by the applicant, and is signed by the applicant personally.
Visa application correction fee is charged in addition to the service fee, and is 120 NOK for each filled in page of the application form. Please ask the Operator of the Russian Visa Application Center about this service, when you apply for a visa.
We would like to inform you that at the Russian visa application centers you can use the following additional (paid) services:
- To fill in an application form;
- To copy or print documents;
- To make express photos;
- To process documents sent by mail;
- To deliver documents on the same day;
- To deliver fully prepared documents by courier;
- SMS informing.
- Acquiring of the above mentioned services does not affect the procedure for consideration of visa application and does not guarantee issuing of visa;
- The cost for provision of services is charged in addition to the service fee;
- All the above mentioned services are provided only at your request;
- Please, read about all the terms of providing these services before you start the procedure.